Submit your Rss Feed Link Below

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Poked and Prodded Blog

Skin Cancer and Pregnancy: What Every Woman Should KnowDuring pregnancy, most women experience some kind of hyperpigmentation or skin pigmentation disorder. Melasma, especially common in pregnant women, creates a pregnancy “mask” which can resemble the Lone Ranger.
For me, I not only develop crazy skin tags, which tend to fall off or disappear postpartum, but I also notice more moles and darker freckles popping [...]


3 Must-Have Pregnancy ProductsThis week, I crossed an incredible finish line: my fetus is officially considered “term.”
When we thought I’d miscarried at six weeks, I thought we’d never pass this marker. Now I feel an overwhelming amount of gratitude to the supportive readers and editors of this blog, the friends and family who fed and cared for my [...]


Bellies, Well-Fed: New Pregnancy Nutrition Book Feeds Our Whole FamilyThis week it was my privilege to take Frances Largeman-Roth’s brand new book, Feed the Belly, for a test drive. And as the senior food and nutrition editor at Health magazine, Largeman-Roth certainly knows her stuff.
I knew this book was written by and for a pregnant woman when I saw the chocolate recipes were featured [...]


Why My Sweat Sessions Ended When I Got PregnantConfession: I stopped my entire exercise routine the moment a second line appeared on my pregnancy test.
Trust me, I know fetuses benefit if their mothers exercise. Advantages include healthier hearts for women and their unborn babies, a smaller incidence of depression in pregnant mothers, and an easier delivery.
Turns out exercise is not only good for [...]


Third Trimester: A Literal Pain in the RearAs the mother of two small children, I spend about 90% of my waking hours sitting on the floor or cleaning it. But now that I’m 34 weeks pregnant, getting back up to a standing position has become a particularly painful feat that involves wincing, whining, and an occasional shriek of pain.
The culprit? Pregnancy-induced sciatica.
Like a lot of [...]


The Tricky Business of Scheduling a C-sectionThis week we engaged in an intense study of the calendar, trying to find the ideal day to schedule my C-section (if one actually exists).
And although my lower back and hips are aching to deliver this baby today, I don’t want to schedule my C-section too early. Every minute counts, according to two recent studies [...]


Personalizing My Elective C-SectionI initially assumed that my upcoming elective C-section would be a soulless encounter with an anesthesiologist, my OB-GYN, and a deftly-handled scalpel. But I’m happy to report that there are ways we can maintain some level of control over our child’s birth.
First, an elective C-section is a far different experience from the emergency C-section I [...]


Health Magazine Needs New York-Area Women for Jeans MakeoverThe Health magazine beauty and fashion team is looking for six or seven women (in the NYC area) who would like to appear in the September issue modeling some new fall jeans.


VBACs Are Great…for Other PeopleThere are a lot of reasons that we ought to try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). Maybe if I was braver, or more determined, this would be an easy choice.
I wrote about some of the great reasons to delivery vaginally after a C-section, including a shorter recovery time and a better chance for [...]


Pregnant and Laid OffIt’s not unusual to be a little stressed before you give birth, but lately pregnant women in my community are stressed out about something unrelated to health. Many of us are worried about our bleak financial situations and a downward-spiraling economy. Moms-to-be have found themselves, or their husbands, laid off with no imminent job prospects.
Even [...]


No comments:

Post a Comment